|Location:Home>South China Institute of Stem Cell & Regenerative Medicine>Research Laboratories>Miguel Esteban|
Miguel A. Esteban, Male, Ph.D., PI, Ph.D. advisor, Chief Scientist of China Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST, 973) Program, National High-End Foreign Expert. He obtained his Ph.D from the University of Autonoma de Madrid in 2003 and worked as a postdoctoral research assistant in Renal research laboratory, Imperial College London from 2003 to 2007. He joined in GIBH from 2008. He studied Immunology (mainly on inflammation), Cancer Biology (particularly related to hypoxia and oxygen sensing), genetic syndromes, Stem Cell Biology (induced pluripotent stem cells and embryonic stem cells) and Epigenetics. He made great research achievements in iPS generation. He is the first one to finish pig’s reprogramming in the world. He also contributed crucially to identifying Vitamin C can greatly improve efficiency of reprogramming, and found urine can be an ideal source for iPS generation. In the last five years, he has published 33 papers, the highest impact factor is more than 25, and this paper became “most read” article of the month in Cell Stem Cell after 4 days of publication online. In 2011, he got Guangzhou Friendship Award, High foreign experts item which is hold by State Administration of foreign Experts Affairs.
1. Xu Y,…, and Esteban MA*(2013). Cell reprogramming into the groove. Nat Mater. 12: 1082–1084DOI:. (News and Views)
2. Zhuang Q,…, and Esteban MA*(2013). Class IIa HDACs and MEF2 proteins Regulate the Mesenchymal-to-Epithelial Transition of Somatic Cell Reprogramming. J Biol Chem. 288: 12022-31.
3. Zhou T,…, and Esteban MA*(2012). A protocol for generating human induced pluripotent stem cells from urine samples. Nat Protocols 7: 2080-9.
4. Esteban MA*, Pei D*(2012). Vitamin C improves the quality of somatic cell reprogramming. Nat Genet. 44: 36-7. News and Views.
5. Xu J,…, and Esteban MA*(2011). Epigenetic regulation of HIF-1a in renal cancer cells involves HIF-1a/2a binding to a reverse hypoxia-response element. Oncogene.31: 1065-72.
6. Zhang S,…, Pei D*, and Esteban MA*(2011). Rescue of ATP7B function in hepatocyte-like cells from Wilson’s disease induced pluripotent stem cells using gene therapy or the chaperone drug curcumin. Hum Mol Genet 20: 3176-87.
7. Li W,…, Esteban MA*.(2011) Modeling Abnormal Early Development with Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells from Aneuploid Syndromes. Hum Mol Genet 205: 53-61.
8. Zhang S,…, Esteban MA* (2011). Rescue of ATP7B function in hepatocyte-like cells from Wilson’s disease induced pluripotent stem cells using gene therapy or the chaperone drug curcumin. Hum Mol Genet 20: 3176-87. * corresponding author
9. Zhou T, …, Pei D, Esteban MA* (2011). Generation of induced pluripotent stem cells from urine. J Am Soc Nephrol. 22:1221-28. * corresponding author
10. Wang T,…, Esteban MA, Pan G, Pei D. (2011) Histone Demethylases Jhdm1a/1b Enhance Somatic Cell Reprogramming in a Vitamin C Dependent Manner. Cell Stem Cell 9: 575-587.
11.Liao B,…, Zhang B*, Esteban MA*, Pei D(2011). Microrna cluster 302-367 enhances somatic cell reprogramming by accelerating a mesenchymal-to-epithelial transition. J Biol Chem. 286: 17359-64.
12.Xu J,…, Pei D*, and Esteban MA*(2010). VHL Inactivation Induces HEF1 and Aurora Kinase A. J Am Soc Nephrol. 21: 2041-2046.
13. Cai,J …, Esteban MA*, and Pei D*(2010). Generation of human induced pluripotent stem cells from umbilical cord matrix and amniotic membrane mesenchymal cells. J Biol Chem.285: 11227-34.
15.Li R, …, Esteban MA*, Pei D. (2010) A mesenchymal-to-epithelial transition initiates and is required for the nuclear reprogramming of mouse fibroblasts. Cell Stem Cell 7 (1):51-63.
16.Esteban MA,…, Pei D (2010). Vitamin C Enhances the Generation of Mouse and Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Cell Stem Cell 6: 1-79.
17.Esteban MA,…, and Pei D(2009). Generation of induced pluripotent stem cell lines from Tibetan miniature pig. J Biol Chem. 284: 17634-40.